Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#BigFish spoiler free mini book review


I am yet to see the film adaptation of Big Fish, but I'd heard possitive things and decided to give the book a go first. The tale of the prolonged death of William Bloom's father, diagnosed terminally ill, the book explores the relationship between a father and son through a series of conversations between parent and child, utlising a unique mixture of both humor and sadness, creating something that is completely neither, but that is curiously melancholly throughout. I enjoyed this type of empathic story telling, and felt very connect to William throughout, feeling his frustrations, regrets and joys along with him as he struggled to find out more about his father, who seems determined to present himself through a facade of well told, bad jokes and stories of his past, which we are never quite sure how many of which are actually true.

Not a difficult read, despite the complex issues dealt with here, and nicely paced throughout, the stories within the story model works well at delving into the relationships William's father has with the wider world, and with his son, and I was capitvated by the book for a few solid days. I recomend to anyone who like me, from time to time at least, enjoys that melancholly feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment