Running Server 2008 R2 and trying to install WSUS 3.0 service pack 2, I found I consistently got an error upon trying to add the role, whether it be from using a dedicated installer from Microsoft or just by adding the feature from within Server Manager.
Lots of Googling suggested lots of different fixes, and I’ve tried a lot. I put it down to the old install of WSUS which had been working successfully but removed for a time, had left some files behind that were corrupting the new install. But I trawled through the server and ran powershell scripts to remove files all to no avail.
The error is really unhelpful, and the install would always fail at the ‘Configuring Database’ stage, displaying error 1722 and saying: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
I’d seen some …