Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#FindingHenryApplebee by #CeliaReynolds mini spoiler free book review

Finding Henry ApplebeeFinding Henry Applebee by Celia Reynolds
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The story of an old man's life regret and his journey to try and finally put things right. Things immediately don't go to plan. Will Henry even manage to make his train to Edinburgh? Luckily, young Arial rushes to his aid, and it just so happens she's also on another mission...err, also to Edinburgh, as it happens!

Aboard the train, the two encounter a third, character, a young Jazz musician from the states, sitting just across the aisle from Henry and Arial. As their journey moves on, they each share a little about their own personal journey. What surprises you is how much these three unlikely strangers actually have in common...

Written in a series of recollections, flashbacks and very tense current events, the back and forth between sections helps Finding Henry Applebee keep up a good pace. For a story that takes place almost entirely on a train, where actually not a lot happens, we find out so much about the characters. It's impossible not to feel for each one's back story and I found myself genuinely caring about all three, dying to find out how things would turn out for each one.

It's so lovingly written, I found it at times to be frustrating, beautiful and loving in equal measure, as feel good as it can be sad. Such a whirlwind of emotions in such a short and easy to read story, I can recommend this to anyone who just wants a good story to get into. Not my typical sort of read and I still loved it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment