Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#StarWars #TheForceAwakens


As a massive fan of the Star Wars films and expanded universe, I was a little apprehensive about the new film. The abundance of trailer hype couple with the ferocious push on marketing (it seemed every shop from supermarkets to video game stores were pushing the merchandise!) worried me - surely a franchise as successfully as Star Wars shouldn't need quite the aggressive investment in promotion as episode 7 received.

I'd also just read Simon Pegg's 'Nerd Do Well' in which he talks about his disappointment getting to witness the release of episodes 1-3 first hand and had begun to feel his apprehension to episode 1 as my own with episode 7.

Luckily, I needn't have been worried at all.

Of course, it isn't the best piece of cinematography ever - it's not an artsy or cult film as we already know! What it is, is a love letter to the original films, with very similar directive choices and a tone that imitates the non serious nature of those original movies.

The acting for the most part, is extremely well performed. Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher make it feel like we are genuinely picking up where we left off with some old friends, and the new talent always seem to relate to somebody from one of the other films, whether in appearance or acting style. I was particularly impressed with the work of Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, who, unlike Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker in episodes 1 through 3, who comes off in the end as a bit of an annoyance and spoiled brat, actually portrays a genuinely torn individual, emotionally distraught and legitimately troubled, without becoming irritating.

The special effects and artwork are superbly done; costume design is fantastic, and both the script and story kept me hooked until the end. The Williams soundtrack is yet another triumph throughout, and the action sequences are believable unlike in some of the scenes in episodes 1-3. You're playing with essentially a laser on a stock!!! There should not be quite as much spinning!!


So, in my effort to make this a spoiler free first impressions review, I'll stop there, and say that as an avid fan of the entire works of Star Wars, despite it's flaws, episode 7 is a great success and deserves your attention, as a fan or newcomer.

May the force be with you, Star Wars. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment