Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#LesMiserables at the Birmingham Hippodrome


I thought everything about Birmingham's run of Les Miserables was fantastic. The live orchestra were exceptional. The lighting effects, especially those showing moving in the sewers were exquisite. I thought the casting was really well done, especially Killian Donnelly with his very Hugh Jackman vibe as Jean Valjean and Katie Hall as Fantine, both I thought were fabulous.

It feels genuinely exciting throughout and the precise choreography really absorbs you into the story. The singing rather importantly was also exceptional - I'm always annoyed when singers in musicals go too operatic, including too much vibrato on every note. There was a touch of the "I need to make this my own so will sing completely out of time" every now and then, but not enough to annoy me too much.

It was really a performance of superb quality, even the merch whilst not cheap (though not overpriced either) feels really well made.

The Hippodrome need comfier seats. They just do. It is too expensive to allow customers to be that hot and cramped for that amount of time.

In all, an excellent production of one of my favourite musicals, and with it coming back in 2020 I can genuinely recommend without feeling guilty. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment