Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#AShortHistoryOfNearlyEverything by Bill Bryson mini spoiler free review

A Short History of Nearly EverythingA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A Short History of Nearly Everything is a book that does exactly what it says on the tin. Covering topics like the origins of the known universe, the human body, DNA and genetics, physics, biology, natural history and palaeontology, and how many of the discoveries we often take for granted today came to fruition, and the astonishing amount of knowledge we have yet to even scratch the surface of.

I really like Bill Bryson's writing style in general and have enjoyed other books of his, but I did struggle to finish A short History... Not for lack of enjoyment, as it's interesting and accessible. There is just A LOT of it. As you'd expect for a history of nearly EVERYTHING!

I believe this was a problem with my approach rather than the book. Going through I was reading a section then thinking back realising as amazed and inspired by that as I was, how much have I actually retained? Not a lot.

And I think that's the point. This is a book to make you feel humble about our origins and the knowledge we've gathered as a species; to appreciate the majesty and massiveness, the beauty and brilliance of everything we've collected and attempt to understand, as well as that which we can or will never know, and even to consider what will we come to know and where is next for humanity. Not a teaching resource, but something to make you wow at the sheer scale of the building blocks of the universe. And to make you appreciate the finite nature of our planet and how we need to respect, retain and regard every aspect that makes up our unique and simply very lucky planet Earth. An excellent read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment