Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#HowToBuildAUniverse by Prof Brian Cox and Robin Ince mini spoiler free book review (#InfiniteMonkeyCage)

How to Build a Universe: An Infinite Monkey Cage AdventureHow to Build a Universe: An Infinite Monkey Cage Adventure by Brian Cox

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Fans of The Infinite Monkey Cage will be already familiar with the dream team Ince and Cox's approach to talking about science, and How To Build A Universe is no exception.

This book sees the pair concentrating on the fundamentals that build up our known universe and some of the mechanics that make it function as we know it does.

Dealing with high level equations, theories and concepts at times I felt a little overwhelmed by the sheer scale of everything that can be understood, let only simply just theorised, yet ince's witty intermissions, the charming artwork and the comic strips all help break it up into more manageable chunks.

Rather than teach you the fundamentals, I think what the book really sets out to do and achieves is to make the reader appreciate the complexity, beauty and sheer scale of the universe. At one point Ince states something along the lines of "don't expect to understand science after reading one book, it took the scientist that wrote it 20 years to form those ideas and theories" and that is exactly true, but if you've got an interest or would like to be interested, you could do far worse than starting here. What we have here is an introduction to beginning to understand some of the big picture, from the hot big bang and the expansion of the universe, to parallel worlds and multiverse theory and many other things besides.

If you'd like a more accessible overview into some of these things I can't recommend this book highly enough, as Cox and Ince work and apparently write really well together and have created a really interesting, informative and accessible book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment