Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#HisDarkMaterials #BookOfDust2 #TheSecretCommonwealth by Philip Pullman mini spoiler free book review

The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Whilst the first Book Of Dust is a prequel to the Northern Lights trilogy, the second entry is a sequel. Lyra, aged about twenty, is living with her Pine Marten Pantalaimon at university, but their relationship is frayed. Ever since the events of the Amber Spyglass in the World Of The Dead, Pan and Lyra have steadily grown apart, neither being able to talk about it but also wanting to do nothing else.

Now able to separate, Pan explores Oxford on his own only to witness a horrific murder. When he eventually shares this with Lyra, they begin to uncover a conspiracy reaching the highest corners of the Magisterium. Malcolm Polstead, now a young lecturer, still finds himself willing to go to the end of the Earth to help protect Lyra, however his involvement with Oakley Street means he always seems to be just a little further behind as he investigates the conspiracy within the Magisterium and the strange substance known as Rose Water.

Relationships are different, but familiar characters are abound in this rather grown up sequel. We get multiple points of view of the story throughout from Lyra, Pan, Malcolm and the Magisterium and they all crisscross together with addictive satisfaction.

The character development from the first book is so intriguing I think I actually preferred this sequel if anything, and found I could not put it down, dedicating all spare time to finishing it. The Dark Materials universe just keeps growing, becoming more intricate and believable in it's exquisite detail. A late comer to the series, I now find myself wishing for the conclusion to come along as quickly as possible.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment