Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

O Captain! My Captain!

I will miss Robin Williams. Not just as a talented actor, comedian, writer, producer and, arguably most importantly, a massive Legend Of Zelda fan. But as a constant. A deserved celebrity who was just a part of popular culture and who always would be. Unfortunately, celebrities somehow become viewed as invincible. Famous actors of this caliber will hopefully always be immortalised from the work they contributed to whilst alive. But a hole is still felt when they leave this Earth, because we never expect it. 

@BobJWilliams posted this Charles Bukowaki quote on twitter, which summarises what I felt when I first heard the news from someone's Facebook status. 

I of course had to watch Dead Poets Society yesterday, and I'm sure many people around the globe felt the sudden need to put on Aladdin, Hook, Good Will Hunting, Flubber, Mrs Doubtfire, Patch Adams and the countless other films that Williams starred in. 

I didn't want to rant about the cause of Williams death. Most people understand, or at least appreciate depression as the disorder that it is, and how suicide is not some selfish act against the world, but a chemical imbalance that causes an individual to feel there is no alternative. Russell Brand quite eloquently talks about the state of a world that a person such as Williams feels they can't exist in it here

I suppose the positive to come out of this is the education of all people to understand that despite the outwardly displayed mask, a person could be, and probably is struggling beneath it. And human behaviour needs to improve because of this. It takes so much more effort to be a negative human being. Why bother? It's nice to be nice, folks.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice tribute. And I totally agree on your point about people having the mask to hide their true selves. If only we could just be the people that we are, happy or sad - and not be judged for it?

    ReplyDelete