Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#MyGraveRitual by G.S.Denning Warlock Holmes spoiler free mini review

Warlock Holmes - My Grave RitualWarlock Holmes - My Grave Ritual by G.S. Denning

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Having really enjoyed the first book in the Warlock Holmes series by G.S.Denning, I bought this thinking it was the second in the series, however this is a departure from the main canon of books and follows on with a series of shorter, small story investigations ranging from murderous Christmas Gooses, searching for artefacts without being allowed to know what they are, electricity demons and a cult of red heads!

Firstly, I love a good book of short stories, it's challenging to write a fully formed story in such a space, and Denning doesn't disappoint and each are just as original as the entire first book. Warlock and Watson's relationship is just as love hate and hilarious as before. but in parts genuinely quite moving. Warlock as the bumbling but brilliant wizard, and Watson the accomplished Doctor and self proclaimed detective definitely have a firm friendship and love for one another.

The stories do have interlinking ideas asking the whole thing feel a little like the TV series Sherlock or Doctor Who, and despite the ludicrous magical elements throughout it still somehow feels like a legitimate homage to the genuine Sherlock Holmes stories.

Reading this on holiday I found myself laughing out loud multiple times and would long for our next stint lounging by the pool so I could carry on reading this absolute gem. Wholly recommended, especially for fans of Sherlock, Doctor Who, Rivers of London, Red Dwarf and other comedy Sci-Fi or Fantasy. Truly excellent!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment