Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#TheBigSleep by Raymond Chandler, mini spoiler free review

The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1)The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The first of the series of books by Raymond Chandler starring Philip Marlowe, a private investigator in 1930s LA which is portrayed by Chandler not as the expected sunny and shiny place you might expect, but a dark, grimy and seedy place where everyone is out to make a quick buck however they can. Through Chandler's knack for descriptive writing, my minds eye pictured a city such like the underworld in Bladerunner, only of course not futuristic.

It's Chandler's knack for description that make the story so gripping, even if sometimes it becomes confusing through interweaving plots, the characters, locations and crime scenes are always really easy to clearly imagine.

One enlisted by wealthy and dilapidated General Sternwood to investigate a blackmail attempt, Marlowe's own desire to tie up the loose ends see him going of on tangents to try and garner a complete picture of events that have lead to this point, often getting involved in nail-biting scenarios when he could just back off.

Despite the sometimes confusing nature of the granular story, the voice of Marlowe and the accomplished writing style mean it's still a joy to read from beginning to end and I would sincerely recommend to anyone who might like detective fiction and want to experience a true Sleuth in the world of LA Noir.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment