Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#HisDarkMaterials #OnceUponATimeInTheNorth by #PhilipPullman mini spoiler free book review

Once Upon a Time in the North (His Dark Materials, #0.5)Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another excellent insight into the events in the Dark Materials universe, this time looking into Lee Scoresby's past and how he first met the mighty Iorek Byrnison.

6 months ago, Lee won his balloon in a game of cards. A man with no direction, he's quite happy going where the wind takes him and his Daemon Hester (Jackrabbit or Alpine Hare...?) searching for work when he can get it.

This time, he floats (or rather, plummets) into the harbour town of Novy Odense. During his search for work he learns of an upcoming political election, and the favourite to win becomes an instant dislike to Lee. His normal curious and kind nature come through, and events unfold that see Lee trying his best to help out a fellow human being, whilst laying one on an old rival. The help of a polar bear in a helmet can't be a bad thing to have?

I found this short story much meatier than the last. There are less extra bits included, but what is included (a torn page to a Aeronauts handbook; a bill of trade from the harbour etc) is definitely welcome.

It's typically absorbing as I've expected from Pullman, but the pace soon vamps up and is edge of your seat stuff for a large portion. Again the presentation is beautiful, but my physical copy lacked some finesse and actually malted pages whilst I was reading (I'm awaiting a replacement from Amazon, so fingers crossed mine was a unique occurance. I'll bump the star count if the new one is better!) The book, writing and story are all excellent. A great look into the origins of two superb characters from His Dark Materials.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment