Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#HisDarkMaterials #LyrasOxford by #PhilipPullman mini spoiler free book review

Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials, #3.5)Lyra's Oxford by Philip Pullman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Short story is right - this absolutely tiny story makes up for its length in it's stunning production values and captivating tale, entering into the post Dark Materials trilogy storyline, and where we meet familiar characters in a different context entirely.

Lyra is growing up. When upon the roof of her beloved Oxford's Jordan College, she espies the birds in the sky doing something strange... attacking another bird... not bird, a Daemon. As the pair take the Daemon into their care, they find it to be a Witches Daemon who desperately needs their help. Of course, they do, and in true Pullman style not everything is as it seems...

Also included is a selection of gorgeous illustrations and historical artefacts, in the form of magazine articles, encyclopedia entries, postcards etc all expanding on this alternative version of Oxford. The artwork, quality and presentation is all superb making the book at definite collectors piece. A little disappointing to find a hefty chunk of the book is dedicated to a preview of the sequel, "Once Upon A Time In The North". Still, It's hard not to recommend this to fans of the series, and I personally love this kind of stuff. Roll on the next one!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment