Recent News

"From out of the dark"

From Out Of The Dark

From out of the dark is a collection of 6 songs finished during the infamous Covid lockdown of 2020, drawing musical influences from many different genres and based on different themes close to my heart.

Some with a narrative, others about how I felt a particular junction in life, playing music, writing and recording songs has been a great outlet for me and helped me deal with and express myself in a productive fashion.

With no single genre over the six songs I decided to put them out as From out of the dark, to show how something good can come from the darkness. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making them.

I appreciate so much all the friends and family who have helped critique these tracks ready for public consumption. Thanks also to my younger sister, Hannah, for providing her vocal talents and lyric writing on two of the songs.

Please listen below and follow me on all of my social networks using the links above.

Matt x

#TheBookOfDust #LaBelleSauvage by #PhilipPullman mini spoiler free book review #HisDarkMaterials

La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A stunning prequel to the Dark Materials trilogy, part one in the Book Of Dust trilogy follows the tale of Oxford resident Malcolm Polstead as he inadvertently finds himself protector of Lyra Belacqua as a baby. The importance of Lyra's mere existence even at this early stage is prolific, and Malcolm finds himself teaming up with unlikely companion Alice to save her from things farm more sinister than the biblical scale flood that forces the three, Daemon's in tow, struggle for survival in Malcolm's canoe, where the book finds its name.

In an effort to keep spoiler free I'll leave the plot summary there, but rest assured as both an origins story, and a story in it's own right, La Belle Sauvage is a wholly excellent piece of fictional writing. There is absolutely never a dull moment throughout, as Pullman tale intrigues, frightens, amuses and excites, sometimes all at once.

His knack for description is at all times beautiful, and I never failed to imagine the unique surroundings, characters and creatures in vivid detail. The story feels to constantly be increasing in pace and tension, starting out with a gentle slow intrigue and continually speeding up to it's exciting conclusion, much like the flood on which they find themselves.

As a lover of fantasy fiction, I can't recommend this highly enough for everyone - read it to your kids, read it for yourself and then make everyone else read it, too. It really is that stunning. I'll be starting the next one almost immediately!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment